Punjab | Punjab Industries | Punjab Yellow Pages

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Punjab

Punjab pronunciation (help·info) (Punjabi: ਪੰਜਾਬ, Hindi: पंजाब, Urdu: پنجاب‎, IPA: [pəɲdʒaːb]) (Also spelled Panjab) is a state in northwest India. Punjab (India) borders Punjab (Pakistan) to the west, Jammu and Kashmir to the north, Himachal Pradesh to the northeast, Haryana to the south and southeast, Chandigarh to the southeast and Rajasthan to the southwest. The total area of the state is 50,362 square kilometres (19,445 square miles). The population is 24,289,296 (2000). Punjab's capital is Chandigarh, which is administered separately as a Union Territory since it is also the capital of neighbouring Haryana. Other major cities of Punjab include Amritsar, Jalandhar, Ludhiana and Patiala. The state is the location
of one of the world's first and oldest civilizations, the Indus Valley Civilization, India's first civilization.



Punjab (India) historically forms a part of the larger Punjab region, which also includes the province of Punjab (Pakistan), the Indian states of Haryana and Himachal Pradesh and Delhi and the Union Territory of Chandigarh. Indian Punjab was trifurcated in the year 1966 leading to the formation of Haryana and Himachal Pradesh.


The word "Punjab" is a combination of the Persian words 'panj' (پنج) Five, and 'āb' (آب) Water, giving the literal meaning of the Land of the Five Rivers. The five rivers after which Punjab is named are the Jhelum, the Chenab, the Ravi, the Beas and
the Sutlej - all tributaries of the Indus River.


Agriculture is the largest occupation in Punjab. In addition to agriculture, other major industries include the manufacture of scientific instruments, electrical goods, machine tools, textiles, sewing machines, sports goods, starch, tourism, fertilizers,
bicycles, garments, hosiery, and the processing of pine oil and sugar. Punjab is considered to have the best infrastructure in India, this includes road, rail, air and river transport links that are extensive throughout the region. The state of Punjab also has the lowest poverty rate in India at 6.16% (1999-2000 figures), based on statistical data compiled by the Indian Government.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • Hello Mate,
    I have searched on Punjab directory seen your blog. I saw your profile and it is a very good effort... cheers !

    And I also found a good directory although it has not much data but it is a good, thought you may want to have a look..... punjabepages.com

    Enjoy !
    Cimran

    By Blogger Punjabi, At March 24, 2009 at 3:36 PM  

  • Nice information on here, I would like to share with you all my experience trying to get a loan to expand my Clothing Business here in Malaysia. It was really hard on my business going down due to my little short time illness then when I got heal I needed a fund to set it up again for me to begin so I came across Mr Benjamin a loan consultant officer at Le_Meridian Funding Service He asked me of my business project and I told him i already owned One and i just needed loan of 200,000.00 USD he gave me form to fill and I did also he asked me of my Valid ID in few days They did the transfer and my loan was granted. I really want to appreciate there effort also try to get this to anyone looking for business loan or other financial issues to Contact Le_Meridian Funding Service On Email: lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com / lfdsloans@outlook.com He also available on WhatsApp Contact:+1-9893943740.

    By Blogger  Suraj, At December 1, 2019 at 3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home